Our lives are becoming increasingly interwoven with the digital world, and the acceleration of social media use globally is another reflection of this. It’s significant that so many of us are now on social media, using it in a variety of different ways; for news, opinions, information and entertainment; to socialize and, increasingly, to inform purchase decisions. Social media has been an integral part of the way we communicate with one another for a long time, but this evolution shows just how much it impacts multiple aspects of our lives right now, and in the future. (Nathan McDonald, CEO, We Are Social)
Social media use is increasing. Here are some highlights:
1. 3.96 billion people use social media today – that’s approximately 51 percent of the global population.
2. Nearly two-thirds (65 percent) of the world’s total ‘eligible’ population now uses social media.
3. Worldwide social media user numbers have surged by more than 10 percent over the past 12 months.
4. More than 1 million people are using social media for the first time every day since this time last year.
5. Globally, social media use is growing by 12 new users every second.
Facebook and messenger use has skyrocketed since COVID-19 started.
The world is changing, as is consumer behavior.
Is your business taking advantage of this?
Do you have a digital and social media marketing strategy?